8 Bad Reasons to Become a Missionary
About three years ago, Joanna and I visited Allendale, with two leaders from Grace Church. It was the first step towards me, my wife, and our kids moving to this community. Though we didn’t understand it at the time, we were about to become missionaries.
We’ve learned a lot since then. We look back, and we recall successes and mistakes over the past three years. And some of those mistakes include our motivations for taking the step that we did. Some of our purposes where from God, but I think we had some wrong motives as well.
- if you think you are going to change the world.
- to make yourself better.
- if you think you have the answers and the nationals don’t.
- if you can’t hack transition.
- if you think you are really pretty great, spiritually-speaking.
- if you think living on support is cake.
- if you aren’t willing to change.
- to find cool friends.
Read the full article to hear her personal reflections. (For the record, I have struggled with all 8 of these points at one time or another, and am currently wrestling with at least three of them.)
**image courtesy of wikimedia