Spring Break Camp, Year 2
In case you haven’t heard, we are firming up plans for our Elevate Spring Break Camp in Allendale, SC. Thankfully, we have had more time to prepare compared to last year, when we didn’t ask for (and receive) approval for the use of school facilities until the end of January.
Camp will run from Monday, April 1 through Thursday April 4, from 8 AM – 4 PM each day. We had 62 children (1st – 8th grade) signed up, and expect similar numbers this year.
Once again, we will be partnering with Upward Sports, who will help us with the soccer programming each morning. After lunch, we will have arts and crafts, 4H programming, gym time, and more.
Why We’re Doing This
- Since August, at least once a week, a student in one of the schools asks me if we are doing this camp again. That is reason enough.
- We got to know many new children in Allendale because of this camp in 2012.
- It will give dozens of folks a chance to participate (see more below). Last year, the biggest blessing I saw were the 37 people and organizations that made this camp happen.
- We have plans to give high school students (both from Allendale and from Greenville) more opportunities to serve and lead.
How You Can Support Us
- Serve. We can’t do this alone, of course. Will you fill one of these roles?
- Allendale adults: 6 people to volunteer at least one day (or 2 half-days) each
- Out-of-town families (with kids): 4-6 families to each participate for two days
- Out-of-town adults: 4-6 people to volunteer at least one day each
- Allendale students: 4-6 teenagers to volunteer at least two days each
- Out-of-town students: 6-8 teenagers to volunteer at least two days each
- USC-Salkehatchie soccer players: 4-6 student athletes to stop by as the class schedule allows
- Give. Last year, more than $1000 was donated from the Allendale community to provide breakfast, lunch, and snacks. (School cafeteria workers volunteered their time to prepare the meals.) I would love to raise this money again all locally, as a way for community members to support the students. Contact me if you are interested.
- Connect. Stay posted on our needs and events by liking Elevate Allendale on Facebook, and following @ElevateKids on Twitter.
- Communicate. Whether you are in Allendale, Greenville, or anywhere please help spread the word. You can start by sharing this post (see the easy share buttons below), and do the same with future communications.
Note that if you are from out of town and want to volunteer, please let me know ASAP.
Looking forward to another great camp!
Edit: We are doing this camp for the third year!