A New After School Program in Allendale
Beginning next week (January 15), we will be launching a two-day-per-week after school program in Allendale. We are working with leaders and a few of the churches in our neighborhood to serve all children, but especially the ones right around us.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, at Renewed Faith Ministries (100 feet from our house), we will provide a place for children (from kindergarten through 12th grade) to eat a snack, receive help with homework, and participate in games and activities. (Note: The leaders of this church are the parents of one of my football players, and a couple of other teammates attend there as well.)
Why was this idea on our heart?
- To assist children in academics
- To support parents who are working or in school by providing a safe place for their children
- To build deeper relationships with youth, and to help them do the same
- To give opportunities for others to volunteer
We don’t know how many kids will come; I would love a size of around 6-8 at the outset. And we don’t know how long it will last. If very few children and families are interested, we will end it. But we figured that the only way to find out is to give it a shot.
We’ve already received generous donations to help us get started. And with the advice of local ministry leaders, we decided to charge a nominal fee of $1 per week, but we will waive that for any family that needs us to. And since everyone (including my wife and I) are volunteers, there are virtually no overhead costs.
Now all we need are children, and a few volunteers.
Know anyone who may be interested?
Edit: Read our update on how things are going.
- The Best Part of My Job
- Why I Want to Be in the After School Program
- Club Update: Why We Do This
- Uplifting Moments of the Week (June 20, 2014)