Meet the Interns
Last summer, we had two great Interns in Allendale, Wes Johnson and Hannah Swoap. These college students paved the way for future interns, by engaging the culture relationally and serving people passionately. Not only did they have an impact on this community, but this community impacted them to such an extent that they have returned for short visits multiple times over the past 9 months.
This year, we are excited to welcome three more college students who will serve with us in Allendale. All three came as a result of connections through Grace Church, and they will all be leading at our Elevate Summer Camp and any programs that we do in July. Additionally, each of them will have a few unique roles, such as working with local churches, leading Bible studies, and working on projects with USC-Salkehatchie.
I’ve asked them a few questions, as a way for them to introduce themselves. These are in the order of which I received them. Yes, Greg, you were late.
What are you studying in college? Where? Elementary Education at USC-Aiken. Was Secondary-Math at Anderson.
- What’s your favorite dessert? Pecan Pie!
- Why did you want to be in Allendale this summer? To be a part of what God is doing down here.
- Beach or mountains? Yes. (But if forced to choose probably mountains)
- Krispy Kreme, Dunkin Donuts, or Starbucks? Hot Fresh Krispy Kreme!
- What’s your biggest goal for the summer? To gain a better understanding of what God wants me to do with my life.
- What are you studying in college? Where? I’m studying Elementary Education at Anderson University. I just finished my sophomore year.
What’s your favorite dessert? My mom’s homemade chocolate chip cookies. They’re the bomb.
- Why did you want to be in Allendale this summer? If you had asked me what I wanted to do for the summer a few months ago, I wouldn’t have told you that it was to live and serve in Allendale. And it’s not that I don’t want to be here! Originally I had planned on applying to WinShape summer camp (which I did) and really felt that it was what I wanted to do for the summer and that was where God wanted me. However, that door closed a month or so after my interview as well as the door to Kairos. The opportunity to serve in Allendale was still available and standing, and I knew that God was directing me here! I love working with kids, so I am beyond excited to build relationships with the kids at summer camp, their parents and the people I meet in this community.
- Beach or mountains? I like the beach because you get tan (typical girly answer). But I can hardly do a week at the beach without getting sick of the gross sticky feeling you get from the water and sand being everywhere. So in that case, I think I would pick the mountains🙂
- Krispy Kreme, Dunkin Donuts, or Starbucks? KRISPY KREME!!!!!
- What’s your biggest goal for the summer? My biggest goal for this summer is to do everything as if working for the Lord, and not for man. I so often try to be the best, do the best and obtain perfection in order to win people over. I want people to be impressed with my performance. But I’ve come to realize that regardless of my successes or failures, the motivations of my heart are what matter to God. That being said, I want to strive to do the best that I can in everything I do by partnering and supporting the Espinosa’s mission here in Allendale, remembering that the relationships I build here will be the things that are most important and have eternal value.
What are you studying in college? Where? I am studying secondary education at Anderson University. I would like to be a high school history teacher.
What’s your favorite dessert? Ice cream.
- Why did you want to be in Allendale this summer? I wanted to come down to Allendale this summer because I felt like I needed to serve somehow, and God opened a door for me to be an intern here.
- Beach or mountains? I love the mountains, but I love going to the beach for the great weather.
- Krispy Kreme, Dunkin Donuts, or Starbucks? Krispy Kreme over Dunkin Donuts all day, everyday.
- What’s your biggest goal for the summer? My biggest goal for this summer is to help Allendale’s community anyway I can, and also be a positive role model for these kids.
Pray for Joseph, Anna, and Greg, as they will be challenged them this summer — physically, relationally, mentally, and spiritually. But we know that the rewards far outweigh the sacrifice.
- No Interns, Lots of Interns (2013)
- “What Can I Ask God to Supply for Your Staffing Needs?” (Questions You Can Ask a Missionary, Part 6)