Allendale County Information Guide 2012
The latest Allendale County Information Guide was just released, courtesy of The Allendale Sun (the local newspaper). Here are some interesting facts about the county that I got from flipping through this booklet:
- An 8th grader, Yusuf Jenkins, made it past the 3rd round in the 2011 National Spelling Bee, before being eliminated. (And he lives about 200 feet from our house.)
- Only 4 private industries employ more than 50 people.
- Of the 10,400 people in Allendale County, 74 % are black and 24% are white.
- For those age 25 years or older, only 13% have a Bachelor’s degree.
- Median household income = $20,081 (42% of people live below the poverty line)
- The Cooter Festival (on Mother’s Day weekend in 2011) and Halloween activities were exciting events for families, and will be again this year.
- Basketball and football are popular activities for children through the recreation department.
- Governor Richard I. Manning issued a proclamation on December 23, 1918 that a new county (Allendale) would be formed from portions of Barnwell and Hampton Counties.
- 4 Shocking Facts about Allendale Demographics
- Pouring in Good, Clear Water
- Children and Poverty in Allendale
- Good News In Allendale