What We’ll Do, and What We’ll Need
At the beginning of the year, I asked my kids, “What goals do you think I should have this year?” Sender (age 4) simply and immediately replied, “Work.”
Thanks for the encouragement, my son.
But of course, direction from God is something we had been praying about for much of 2010. And we are excited about the opportunity we have in before us. Last week, I outlined some thoughts about how we got to the decision of moving to Allendale County, but you may be wondering what we’ll actually do, besides eating lots of fried chicken (if you are in Fairfax, go to Clara’s).
A big part of why we are there is to be an extension of and a liaison for Grace Church, which has already been partnering with different people and organizations (from a church, to schools, to community activists, and more) in Allendale for almost two years now. We can help the mission of our church by being “feet on the ground.”
But a big chunk of my role and time there will be spent as the Unit Director for the Boys & Girls Club in Allendale County. There has been much work to do, including getting children signed up (communication is a challenge, to say the least), recruiting and equipping volunteers, and preparing the facility.
From my first day on the job (January 17), I saw 3 stages over next few months:
- First 2 weeks (Jan 17-31): Get ready and get in
- February: Get settled and get better
- March – May: Get ahead and grow in numbers (children and volunteers)
In the past few weeks, I’ve been so thankful for everyone who has helped the club get ready. People have donated supplies and money, volunteered their time, given great encouragement and ideas, and prayed for me and my family. Those things have been exactly what we needed.
If you are looking for more specifics, here are some other things you can pray for.
- Impact. Obviously, God has us in Allendale for His purposes. Please pray for discernment for us so that we would know where we should be involved, and what things we need to say “no” to.
- Community. We need community (church, friends, etc) in Allendale as much as we’ve needed and benefited from it here.
- Logistics. We want to sell our house in Simpsonville. We need to find a house in Allendale or Fairfax. And Monday is the grand opening for the Boys & Girls Club; I sure would like it to get off to a good start.
Thanks so much. Let me know if you have any questions.